Inter-communal associations in Brussels
An inter-communal association is made up of two or more communes and possibly other public authorities or private partners, working on the territory of a few communes or the whole Region and beyond. The aim is to attain the critical mass needed to achieve economies of scale and invest in high-quality cutting-edge services.
Inter-communal associations in the Brussels-Capital Region are active in the following sectors:
- Education and training:
- Académie intercommunale de Musique, des Arts de la parole, et de la Danse de Saint-Josse-ten-Noode/Schaerbeek
- Ecole Intercommunale et Régionale de Police (ERIP)
- Intercommunale d'Enseignement supérieur d'Architecture (IEAI)
- Brulabo (formerly Laboratoire Intercommunal Bruxellois de Chimie et de Bactériologie - LICB)
- Services for the deceased:
- Telecoms and cable TV:
- Brutélé related to the NewIco inter-communal association and represented by the operator VOO
The Brussels-Capital Region oversees the inter-communal associations through the Administration des Pouvoirs locaux (APL, administration of local authorities) of the Ministry of the Brussels-Capital Region.